Rollo Press



It's Nice That is one of my absolute favourite websites, and the main cause for my dire financial situation (you don't need things until you know they exist...)

Whilst having a browse the other day I came across this article, an interview with Urs Lehni of Rollo Press. Rollo Press is a small print studio in Zurich, they use a Risograph printer to publish his own works, and those of friends and accomplices.

They describe their work using a very apt William Morris quote from Art and its Producers:

To own the means of production is the only way to gain back pleasure in work, and this, in return, is considered as a prerequisite for the production of (applied) art and beauty.

You can see Morris' maxim of "everything should be either purposeful or beautiful" here...

I may use this quote in my essay next term to illustrate the aims and reasons behind self-publishing. Unfortunately I can't fit it into my (already significantly over the word limit) essay proposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment